Clear and Unbiased Facts About Best Concrete Sealer (Without All The Hype)
Concrete sealers help to protect your concrete from any damage, staining and also corrosion. They also help to fill cracks and holes which might be on the surface.
These sealers are important because they give your concrete a nice look. This article covers some of important things you should know about concrete sealing. It also covers some of the best sealers you can find on the market today.
How to Prepare Your Concrete before Sealing
Before you start sealing your concrete, it had better consider the following things:
- Look for areas that require to seal – start by inspecting the entire area for any crack, hole or places that need to be repaired. You should also check if any area is likely to get damaged soon.
- Remove all the stains from the concrete – scrub any stain on the concrete thoroughly. If there is any grease, you can remove it by using hot water.
- Repair all the cracks and potholes by filling them and ensure that they are not visible.
- Now you can start cleaning the concrete. You can use mobs, brushes or brooms to ensure there is no stains or dirt. Remove all the substances that might damage the concrete.
- You can now seal after you have decided the best sealer to use for your concrete. Follow all the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
Advantages and disadvantages of concrete sealing
- Repels moisture - Concretes a porous material, and thus moisture can easily penetrate and damage it. It also enhances the growth of molds and moss which weakens and damages the concrete. Sealers protect the concrete from moisture.
- Improves color - A concrete sealer a makes your concrete to appear more vibrant. It makes the surface to appear shiny
- Revives old floor - a sealer helps to restore the original color of the concrete
- Stain resistant – it prevents your concrete from stains.
- It’s an extra cost - floor owners should discuss the sealing with the contractor to determine whether it is relevant for the type of concrete to be sealed t avoid unnecessary costs.
- Requires maintenance – it requires some maintenance for it to be effective. You should always ensure that the surface is free from dust, leaves and any dirt
- Resealing – sealers normally fade after some time which means you should apply a sealer regularly
- Not friendly to the environment- most of the sealers contains chemicals which might affect the surrounding
Types of Sealers for Concrete
1. Penetrating sealers
These protects the surface e from moisture. They react with the capillaries to prevent moisture from penetrating.
Penetrating sealers protects the concrete, but they do not change the appearance.
They make the exterior surface of the concrete to last longer even when exposed to harsh climatic conditions.
- They offer a good resistance to chemicals.
- They do not change the appearance of the concrete.
- Most of them are breathable.
2. Film – forming sealer
These usually forms a protective layer on the surface of your concrete. They are usually used when you want to decorate your concrete. Film- foaming sealer are of 3types.
These come in solvent and water based versions. They are very easy to apply and are also cheap.
They protect your concrete from UV lights and are also water resistant. These sealers wear fast so they should regularly be applied.
- They can be used for both exterior and interior concrete.
- They enhance the beauty of your concrete.
- They dry fast.
These are two types, solvent, and water based. They are thicker than acrylic sealers and are useful in protecting your concrete from chemicals and abrasives. You should ensure that there is no water on the surface when applying to prevent foaming or bubbling.
- They can be used on exterior and interior surfaces.
- The finish is non yellowing.
- They are exquisite in surfaces with high traffic.
- Enhances the beauty of your concrete.
These sealers are durable and protect your surface from abrasion. They also adhere well with cement and concrete overlays. They should only be used in interior applications to avoid yellowing when exposed to sunlight.
- They can be used on both concrete and cement overlays.
- They are good in floors with high traffic.
Factors to Consider When Selecting A Concrete Sealer
Appearance – different factors affect the appearance of the concrete such as penetration, gloss level and darkening of the concrete. Penetrating repellents do not change the appearance of your concrete.
Stability of light – sealers have different stability when exposed to sunlight. Some sealer turns brown or yellow due to UV light.
Environment – it is always good to think of the contaminants around the pool deck which might damage the concrete.
Color development – some sealers appear to be dull, and so it’s good to select one which matches with your concrete. You can also consider a sealer which will not change the appearance of the concrete.
Warranty – It is good to look for sealers which come with a guarantee of at least one year.
Durability – Look for a durable sealer. Some sealers may require you to reapply after some time.
Best Concrete Sealers Review
Foundation Armor AR350 Sealer
This is a quality sealer that has components protects your concrete from algae, mild, water substances, and oil. It is durable, and you can stay for a long time before reapplying.
This sealer gives your concrete a beautiful appearance after application. It can be used on the basement floor, garage floors and stamped walkways. Armor AR350 protects your concrete for a very long time.
- Long lasting
- Penetrating solid
- Satin acrylic coating
- It is long lasting.
- It lowers pitting and cracking.
- Protects the concrete from substances like gasoline, oils and UV light which might destroy your concrete.
- It takes time to dry
RUST-OLEUM 247471 Epoxy Blacktop Coating
Rust-Oleum 247471 comes with great features which are not available in other sealers. It comes in two gallons which are enough for your concrete.
This sealer is very easy to apply which means you do not need any expert. It dries fast after application; it takes about 4 hours to dry. The sealer is made up of recycled rubber tires which make it very efficient.
- It comes with a warranty of 10 years
- It dries fast.
- It also comes in two gallons.
- It is durable
- It dries fast.
- It is simple to apply.
- It is expensive
Foundation Armor 5-Gal SX5000
This is a very powerful sealer; it protects your concrete from water spills, oil spills, and harmful substances which may damage your concrete. It is durable and can last for ten years. This sealer covers about 500 ft in 2 coats, and thus it ensures your concrete remains clean.
- It is repellant to water.
- It is durable and can last for ten years.
- It is a solvent based sealer.
- Covers up to 500 ft.
- It is long lasting
- It covers up to 500 ft in 2 coats.
- It is water based and prevents harmful substances from damaging your concrete
- It takes time to dry.
Dryway Water Repellent Concrete Sealer
This is one of the best concrete sealers. It is very useful in the prevention of harmful substances like UV light, oil, and water from your concrete. It is water resistant, and this means it is friendly to the environment with fewer toxins and odor.
- It is resistant to Ultraviolet rays.
- Cover from 750-1000 ft.
- It is resistant to water.
- It lasts for up to 5 years.
- It is a penetrating sealer.