How To Choose The Best Pool Filter?
Do you own a swimming pool? If yes, I bet you have ever asked yourself about the best pool filter, which is undeniably one of the most essential parts of pool maintenance. This article has all the information you need to know about it.
The principal purpose of a filter is to collect contaminants that get into the pool such as dust, algae, leaves, and bacteria. A filter plays a significant role in keeping your swimming pool clean and ensures that your equipment is functioning properly.
The effectiveness of a filter is determined by the size of particles it can collect. The particles are referred to as microns. If you are a new pool owner or you have an old pool filter, it’s time to buy a new one.
Advantages of a new filter
Disadvantages of an old filter
Types of Pool Filters
This is a circular filter which has a pleated filter material. This type of filter can capture debris as small as 10-15 microns. These types of filters are very easy to maintain, and they normally do a good job of keeping the water clean. They should be replaced at least once per year. The cost of replacing the cartridge depends on the size or square footage of the cartridge.
Sand filters remove impurities from water by use of sand to collect debris. Once the debris accumulates, the filter will require a backwash. You can do this by running the water in the opposite direction through the filter. They can filter debris between 20-40 microns and are not as good as cartridge filters. Sand filters are easy to maintain as they only need to be backwashed once after several weeks. The sand can be changed once after 3 or 4 years. These types of filter are bulky and hefty.
The DE Filter ( Diatomaceous Earth)
It contains grids inside which are coated with DE powder. They also have a filter media where mined and fossilized exoskeletons of tiny diatoms are used in powder to cover the grids. This filter can trap debris as small as 2-5 microns.
What Do You Have To Consider When Selecting The Best Pool Filter For Your Pool?
1. Calculate the volume – When choosing a filter for your pool, the first thing you should consider is the amount of water to be filtered. You can follow the following formulas when calculating the volume of your pool.
- For a rectangular pool – Multiply the width by the length and by the average depth.
- For a circular pool- Multiply the radius by 3.14 by the average depth.
2. Calculate the capacity –calculate the number of gallons of water that the pool can hold. To do this, multiply the pool volume by 7.48 ( which is the number of gallons of water in a cubic foot of volume)
3. Calculate the flow rate – This is the amount of water flowing past a given point at a specific time. It is usually measured in gallons per minute(GPM) or gallons per hour(GPH.)
To determine the flow rate, divide the capacity of the pool by the turnover rate which is the time needed to circulate a body of water equal to the size of the pool.
4. Decide the type of filter you prefer – Which is your favorite filter: sand, cartridge or diatomaceous earth filter? You should be able to determine this from your poolside experience.
5. Make sure you oversize the filter –When selecting a pool filter, it is important to understand that as the debris are removed from the water, the filter medium usually becomes clogged, and the filter will need a greater flow to clean an equal amount of water. Therefore, it is necessary to go for a larger filter than indicated by our calculations of flow requirements.
pentair triton ii
This type of pool filter is usually designed for in-ground swimming pools. It gives you a hassle free and efficient filtration. The tank is built from a weatherproof material. Using the action of the lever is easy.
The water distribution by every inch square of sand is assured by an essential top diffuser. Methodical backwashing enables crystal clear water.
The advanced technology of the full flow of water minimizes the energy cost by providing brilliant filtration such that you do not need to run your filter for a long time. It weighs about 47 pounds.
Hayward EC40AC aims to be used with Hayward Perflex extended-cycle DE filter models. It weighs about 13.7 pounds. Perflex filters are usually matched with their series to guarantee a system which takes full advantage of the filtration ability.
The filtration systems are built in an advanced manner to operate with minimum resistance thereby creating more amount of filtered water with fewer horsepower.
The pro series sand filter has the most recent pool filter technology to ensure that your pool is functioning at its best. It is built with a long-lasting and corrosion resistant thermoplastic.
They have an attractive appearance. These filters provide a standard performance and are very dependable. They can provide an ideal combination of energy, competence, and water clarity. The filter can be used in all weather conditions.
This type of pool filter is usually designed to filter out dirty water from the pool. It helps in removing dirt and particles so as to clean the water and also helps in pushing it back into the swimming pool.
Pentair Triton II Side Mount Pool is usually considered as the best for home pools. It uses sand to clean the water. These types of filters can stay for up to 7years before they require replacement.
If you want to enjoy your swimming pool, you should ensure that it is the clean and healthy environment for each and everyone who uses it.
You should make sure that the water is free from bacteria, bugs, and viruses which might find a way to the pool. Having a good pool filter can help you with this. INTEX 2650 GPH is a good sand filter pump and looks like a combination of filter and pump.
Which Is The Best Pool Filter?
If you are looking for the best pool filter, Hayward S180T Pro Series can be the best for you. This is because unlike other filters, this one can work with both fresh and salt water pools. It also has a flange clamp of 360 degrees for easy installation.
The filter has an integral diffuser for maximum filtration. It is also durable and consists of an enormous pressure drain for quick servicing or winterizing. The device also has a high-performance top mount sand for small in-ground pools, above ground pools and aquariums.
It is my hope that you have learned something from this article about the best pool filter. Do you have anything you would like to add? Feel free to do so in the comments below. You are also allowed to share.